Overview of The Mining Sector
Electric motors play an essential role in the mining and mineral processing industry. They are used to drive various equipment essential to the industry’s operations, such as generators, pumps, crushers, mills, and hoists. Given their important function, they must be carefully designed, constructed, and maintained for durability and longevity. Otherwise, they would not be able to withstand the harsh conditions or meet the high production demands.
At Renown Electric, we offer electric motor repair, rebuild, rewind and replacement services to help customers in various sectors, including the mining industry, keep their equipment running reliably and efficiently. Equipped with over 30 years of motor maintenance, repair and rewind experience and state-of-the-art repair facilities, we have what it takes to support any electric motor management need, whether it involves DC motors or AC motors.
Importance of Motor Maintenance and Repair in the Mining Industry
The failure of an electric motor is highly detrimental to mining and mineral processing operations. Both workers and equipment may stand idle as they await the repair or replacement of the failed motor, resulting in disrupted or stalled operations and, consequently, significant revenue loss. For these reasons, it is vital to address any motor issues quickly to avoid them turning them into catastrophic problems, such as complete failure. Regular maintenance and proper repair can help prevent, catch, and resolve equipment issues, leading to improved reliability without disruption and money saved.
Types of Electric Motor Maintenance and Repair Services
Electric motor maintenance and repair can involve many services, all of which help increase the reliability and longevity of the unit. In the mining industry, these services include:
- Preventative maintenance. Preventative maintenance involves performing regular inspection and evaluation of motors to identify potential operational or performance issues. If and when an issue is detected, the maintenance or repair service provider can implement a solution to prevent it from turning into a full-blown or catastrophic problem.
- Windings inspection. Test windings for dielectric strength and inspect for contaminants such as oil, grease and dirt ingestion. Periodic inspections and testing will help determine an appropriate time to remove the motor for overhauls thus avoiding catastrophic failure.
- Motor rewinding. A typical IEEE design life of a motor winding is 30 years or less depending on operating conditions. Motor rewinding is the most cost-effective way to restore a motor to its original condition and in some cases, the motor horsepower and efficiency can be increased.
- Bearing Maintenance or Replacement. Mechanical failures make up to 85% of all motor failures and in many cases, motor failures can be attributed to issues with the bearings. Bearings bear the load in a motor, which results in them wearing faster than other components in the motor. For this reason, they generally require frequent inspection and maintenance, if they are Babbitt Bearings or, if they are Roller or Ball Bearings, to avoid unexpected failure.
Partner with Renown Electric for Electric Motor and Generator Repair Services
If you’re a mining industry professional looking for a reliable electric motor maintenance and repair partner, Renown Electric has got you covered! Our team has the knowledge and skills to provide quick, cost-effective, and quality maintenance and repair solutions that help prevent loss of revenue due to equipment downtime in the mining industry and beyond. We are a one-stop shop for all electric motor management needs. Our capabilities include:
- Generator Rebuilding & Rewinding
- Gearbox Rebuild & Repair
- Machine Shop Services
- Motor Drive Repair
- Motor Rebuilding & Rewinding
- Pump Repair
- Servo Motor Repair
- Sheave Regrooving & Manufacturing
To learn more about our electric motor maintenance and repair services or discuss your service requirements with one of our team members, contact us today. Our 24/7 customer services ensure we can help extend the performance and life of your electric motors when you need it.