Electric motors and generators are vital to the mining industry, allowing equipment such as mills, crushers, hoists, pumps, and haulers to operate. Tools and machinery for this work must be durable and reliable to enable seamless production in even the harshest of environmental conditions. When motors or generators do fail, this can cause significant interruptions to your operation for equipment repair, which results in lost revenue or even worker injury. Periodic maintenance will help your mining operation avoid costly downtime and replacement parts, as well as unsafe working conditions.
As an authorized dealer, service provider, and warranty center for the majority of big-name motor and generator manufacturers, Renown Electric Motors & Repair Inc. understands what it takes to keep your AC and DC motors and generators running at their best. Since 1984, we have provided electrical and mechanical motor and generator preventative maintenance programs and engineering support, repair, remanufacture, and overhaul services to diverse industries across the world.
Motor & Generator Maintenance & Repair in the Mining Industry
Considering the ways in which mining operations can go awry, regular electric motor and generator maintenance is a necessity to help assure equipment life span and reliability. To that end, Renown Electric provides the following services:
- Preventative maintenance. Inspecting machines periodically helps identify potential operational and performance issues before they become a challenge.
- Winding analysis. We’ll check your equipment’s dielectric strength, or its insulation value in protecting against contaminants and spikes in voltage, to determine if replacement or overhaul is required.
- Motor and generator rewinding. Motor and generator rewinds are an economical way to restore a motor or generator to like-new efficiency and enhance horsepower output.
- Bearing maintenance and replacement. Bearings, as load-carrying components, usually wear out quickly compared to other motor parts, so regular bearing inspections can prevent unexpected motor breakdowns.
- Inverter/drive maintenance and repair. Electric motor drives enable control over the speed and torque of a motor. Carrying out predictive or preventative maintenance on these drives reduces damage risk within a machine and provides smooth operational performance.
- Diagnosing and repairing motor drives. Renown Electric’s wide range of services includes diagnostics for AC and DC inverters and drives, as well as any necessary repairs and load testing.
Partner With Renown Electric for Electric Motor & Generator Repair Services
Renown Electric supports the mining industry with trusted maintenance and repair services for electric motors and more to reduce operational downtime. We combine our team’s extensive experience; our ISO 9001:2015-certified, state-of-the-art facility; and quality, cost-effective repair and maintenance solutions to meet the goal of being a one-stop shop for mining professionals. In addition to general rotating equipment repair and machine shop services, we offer:
- Rebuilding and rewinding motors and generators
- Repairing and rebuilding gearboxes
- Repairing servo motors, motor drives, and pumps
- Manufacturing and regrooving sheaves
- Surveilling motors and drives
- Analyzing repeat failures for root cause through the use of Motion Amplification technology.
Electric Motor & Generator Repair Is Crucial to the Mining Industry
The mining industry is moving to AC motors with variable frequency drives (VFDs) to regulate their speed through analog controls. These VFD motors utilize cooling systems to maintain performance quality, pulling heat from power-generating semiconductor components to increase the motors’ life span. Their compact footprint makes them suitable for small spaces or harsh conditions in mining applications.
High-voltage drives are efficient for mining tasks. In the power delivery systems of large, soft-starting mill motors, these drives reduce stress by safeguarding against low current inrush and voltage dips. They effectively control torque, speed, and power within a motor to optimize operations and enhance equipment longevity.
To make sure such equipment remains highly functional and safe to use, Renown Electric inspects VFDs and soft starters, tracking a drive’s output and input over time. Our team gathers these measurements to set up a baseline of capacitor performance. This allows us to pinpoint any variations in ripple, DC bus voltage, or the workings of internal drives to avoid unexpected downtime and lost revenue.
Learn More in Our Mining eBook
Proactive maintenance and repairs ensure that equipment with applications in the mining industry operates effectively and efficiently. To learn more about this topic and how Renown Electric can support your business, read our eBook, “Mining Industry: Importance of Motor & Generator Maintenance & Repair in the Mining Industry.” We cover such topics as the importance of maintaining and repairing motors and generators, the types of repair services that are vital for this electric equipment, and our own team’s capabilities.
For more information, you can visit our office at 99 Ortona Court, Vaughan, Ontario L4K Canada, or call us at 877-742-3665. We are also reachable by email at [email protected], or you can go through our website and contact us to request a quote.